[geeks] News server access

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 12 20:22:38 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 02:10:16PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Didn't someone post a program name here a while ago (few weeks) for
> downloading net news articles from an ISP to your local storage that acted
> like a news client (not a news peer)?
>
> The idea was that a machine could be set up on a local network
> (news.nyhome.net) and it would get a news feed from an ISP account
> (news.myisp.com) and as articles were requested of the local machine they
> would be pulled down from the ISP server. This would reduce traffic load
> considerably, and not require a newsfeed source but would allow you to have
> a local machine for archiving articles, etc...

Leafnode sorta does that.  It has some really annoying "features" (they
definately aren't bugs, and some people might like them, but they irritate
me).

There are other programs that will suck news down into inn's
stores.  Search freshmeat.

Someone recently told me about a really great inn replacement that
includeds news downloading from nntp servers, but I don't remeber the name
now.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/