[geeks] lightbulb?

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 9 23:46:00 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 12:31:48AM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> Logically, couldn't we hack up an FPGA to pretend
> it's a Honeywell/GE box and put Multics on that?

In theory, I think so.

> Not only would we be running Multics in a form-factor that
> can fit in a... 3.5" drive bay, it would be hella faster
> than anything it originally ran on.

That would be cool.

> Am I missing something?

I think the major problems are that those machines are incredibly complex
(been told that they make Vaxen look simple), and there seems to be a
general lack of information about them, where as anyone can easily get all
the info. they could want about a PDP-8.

Plus, who has a copy of Multics?  I haven't heard of anyone having it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd