[geeks] Three heads

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 9 04:45:34 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 11:17:45AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 04:03:13PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > I think you're somewhat out of date there - it used to be 40 bits
> > (routinely broken by using open http proxies to appear to be from the
> > Land Of The Oppressors and download the US domestic release :-) but
> > has been 128 bits for some time now.
>
> I didn't know that.  Did MS get an exception, or did the US chance the
> rules?

Rules got changed some time ago when they realised that they were leakier
than a very leaky thing and that everyone and his dog throughout the entire
world had access to crypto much stronger than that anyway, and so that the
export rules were doing nothing other than harming US businesses.

> > Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
> >    -- Fergus Henderson
>
> Hehe, I like that.

Fergus is the head chef at St John, a wonderful restaurant in London
<http://www.stjohnrestaurant.co.uk/main.htm>.  Comes highly recommended
unless you're a vegetarian.  Book in advance.  Expensive.