[geeks] NeXT printer on ebay.co.uk

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 10:53:47 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 04:35:28PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1262843118

Wow, that guy certainly was generous with the pictures.  I wish more
people would do that.

> Are these the beasties which are completely dumb and rely on the NeXT
> workstation to do the rendering, or would I be able to send postscript
> to it and use it without a NeXT?  I foolishly got rid of my NeXT last
> year, but I could do with a printer and this just looks soooo cool.

I believe that it is useless without the NeXT machine.  However, I also
though that there used Canon toner cartridges, but that's not what the
picture shows being used.  So, I punched the model number into google, and
I find that that model uses canons print engine, and that it takes ep-s
toner cartridges.  Not sure if that means Laserjets are more standard than
I thought, or that they changed the specs somewhere along the way.

Anyway, all other sources say that this printer (assuming that the specs
weren't changed) doesn't work without the NeXT station.  It does
apparently use standard serial though, so maybe reverse engineering
drivers would be possible (but probably not worthwhile).

--
Joshua D. Boyd