[geeks] Drooogs and regulations (was Three heads)

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 7 16:49:11 CDT 2001

Mfg. needs to store an incredible amount of data
(batch/lot testing information) in a form that will be
retrievable if needed - I don't think there is a
stated time limit of any kind.

I think reasonable companies feel that they need to
keep the data around for the shelf life of the
compound, plus the the amount of time (window) for
filing a lawsuit. A long time, I suspect...

BTW, these are the times when you learn things like
how long a mag tape will store, how long a CD-R can be
on a shelf, and why acid-free paper is so expensive!

Ken

--- joshua d boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 04:40:20PM -0400, Jonathan
> Katz wrote:
<snip>
> > The one hangup of the FDA, which scares me, is
> that any computing
> > environment which was used for testing and/or
> simulations must be
> > "recreatable" for 7 years after the experiment.
> IIRC, that is
> > about as vague as it's stated. Does that mean the
> same system
> > with same sized hard disks and all, or the fact
> that Solaris 22
> > is backwards and binary compatible with Solaris
> 2.5 adaquate for
> > re-running your pre-compiled Fortran code you get
> from the
> > government?
>
> In manufactoring, I don't believe that we had that
> problem.  We just had
> to prove that our data didn't get mucked up anywhere
> along the way.

=====
Ken
n2vip at yahoo.com