[geeks] Three heads

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 7 09:38:25 CDT 2001

Well, I have a friend "in the business" (she designs
office spaces using modular furniture), and I think
the off-lease stuff can be reasonable, if you are not
picky about things like color... Most large furniture
firms have lots of pieces they got back off
lease/in-trade, that just isnt, well, popular.

Issues like color/material/height go in phases/fads,
and if you are willing to get last-years design, I
suspect a bargain can be had. I think the real trick
is to avoid the "used office furniture" stores on the
side of the road - they are simply buying from the
larger supliers and marking up the price - of price is
your issue, I'd approach the larger companies
directly...

Ken
--- joshua d boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> From what I've seen, it's pretty much all easy to
> assemble.  When I bought
> the pedistal (or file drawers, just the sales man
> kept calling it a
> pedistal) for my desk it was rather damaged (dented,
> lock brokek), and
> still set me back $80.  And office chairs were darn
> expensive (the ones we
> have are either unbearably ugly, or unbearably
> cheap) also.  I think the
> only way to make this plan work on the cheap is to
> luck out somewhere, and
> then it is most likely going to be ugly.  Office
> furniture is not
> cheap.  It seems to me that the office is the
> hardest part of a house to
> furnish nicely on a budget.

=====
Ken