[geeks] Favorite mailer

Kris Kirby geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 5 04:42:31 CDT 2001

On 4 Aug 2001, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Ouch.  That beats anything I've done.

The crazy part is that it's a 50x2 PA, which means that the tweeters can
probably take about 10W. Being 2.5 feet away and in between them isn't a
good thing; after the "deafening" effect wore off, I still had / have to
deal with my ears ringing. This was a 1/20 of a second of exposure or so;
touch, squeal, let go. Amazing how bad these incidents can be. (Going to
$LOUD_BAR didn't help either, but it didn't make me feel as bad about my
ears ringing.

> > I'm really considering switching most of my mail operations to Postfix;
>
> Do it.  Do it now.  Postfix needs infinitely less black magic to get it
> to work than Sendmail does, not counting any sort of fancy
> "customizations" you may want to make (like configuring SMTP AUTH).  The
> fact that it's faster is secondary IMO.

Shoot, the fancy stuff is easier.

> > my mx3 is a stock Sparc IPX with 64MB of RAM and a 1G disk; it
> > out-delivered my mx2, which is a P3-875/512M/30GB running Sendmail.
>
> I knew Sendmail was slow but I didn't think it was *that* slow.

Well, Sendmail was doing a serial delivery of about ~300 messages to one
server; Postfix Got It Done with parallel delivery. I remember that
sendmail had trouble with parallel delivery or that it couldn't do it; I
want the book to verify whether it's capable of it or not. Yes, I *know*
they have a website, but I'd rather put my hands on a book than try to
navigate it.

> > Now if I can remember where I put that Sendmail book...
>
> Unconsiously throw it in the dumpster at the first thought of getting
> rid of Sendmail? :)

No, I've made a mess of things around here and need to neaten up. I
remember moving all of my UN*X books somewhere, but I can find them now.
Probably under something, under something, under something.

-----
<kris at nospam.catonic.net>   |