[geeks] Stuff I found/got at auction. What now?

Mike Hebel geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 4 02:38:13 CDT 2001

scn> Big Endian wrote:

>> ooh... I have one of these things lying around... it looks like its
>> trying to load something but I can't find all the software it wants
>> on intel's site.  Do you have any pointers?

scn> What's it trying to load? I don't have any installable software, I
scn> actually literally picked it out of the garbage. The only way I could
scn> find to connect to it was to plug it in to my lan and watch it scanning
scn> for something. I noted the IP and plugged a crossover cable into another
scn> box, telnetted in, and fixed the network info so it'd work in my world.
scn> I was fortunate in that root actually worked with no password. According
scn> to http://dtmf.org/hybrid/files/hybrid-files/shiva.txt that's because
scn> root doesn't appear in the userfile database, and since most admin is
scn> done through the main terminal it's overlooked by most small office
scn> admins who don't even realize it had a 'root' account. I highly
scn> recommend the above mentioned website, it's where I learned most of what
scn> I know about this thing. http://shiva.com seems to have gone away in the
scn> past few weeks (since the last time I looked), but they had software and
scn> manuals there for download. Perhaps they can be found with some digging
scn> around on Intel's site. I haven't had any luck with a cursory search,
scn> though.

scn> If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, but that dtmf.org
scn> site's a good place to start.

scn> ---sambo
scn> _______________________________________________

I've actually re-loaded/upgraded the OS on the LanRover units before.
 What it's looking for is a TFTP server with the OS file.  They used
 to have one on their site.  They also eventually produced a
 management program that could do TFTP and upgrade directly.  I'll
 hunt around my "old" CDs and see if I can't post a copy somewhere.

 It's a hit or miss process.  Either it works right out of the gate or
 it dies and you have to fight to get it working.

Mike Hebel                          mailto:drone8of9 at crosswinds.net

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.html

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.doc