[geeks] Stuff I found/got at auction. What now?

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 08:55:46 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 10:33:44PM -0500, Simeon Johnston wrote:
> A few Macs.
> 	7100/80 - Not much in it.

Should have ethernet and be able to play MP3s just fine.  For a unix os,
look to mkLinux.

> 	7200/120 - No RAM/VRAM.

Same as above, plus, not a bad workstation.  Sonnet makes G3
upgrades.  You could do a beige G3 mobo swap, but probably not worth
it.  You could also do a 7300, 7500, or 7600 mobo swap.  The 7300 is
really nice, but cheap enough for a complete system that you should be
carefull not to spend too much on just the mobo.  I'd say don't spend more
than $50 on stuff that can't be reused.

> 	Quadra 840AV - No HD (easily rectified) otherwise looks stacked.

> 	IIfx - Dual floppy, dual video, 32 MB ram (I was reall surprised by this)

netbsd box, aux box, symbolics box.  Lots of possibilities due to the
number of Nubus slots, but unless you know what you want from it, I
wouldn't bother.

> 	Really interesting stuff i.e. I have no idea.
> 	Spaceballs - ADB plugs works w/ *nix.  6 degree's of freedom.  These
> are the old ones/don't work w/ anything but *nix.

Uhm, won't work with anything but unix?  Do you have a model number?  It
seems strange to me that they would make spaceballs only for aux since
that was the only unix available for the 68k macs originally.  And last I
looked there wasn't any linux support for the things.

--
Joshua D. Boyd