[geeks] Re: [rescue] Temperature Monitoring?

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 08:18:56 CDT 2001

Brian Hechinger wrote:

(Moved to geeks as it seems more appropriate)

> > decided that I'm using the SS20 as my main desktop machine. The linux
> > box is in the corner now. I'm still running apps off of it over X on the
> > desktop.
>
> HA!  you're one of me now (i don't need no stinkin' PC!!!!)

Unfortunately I do need one. There's a company feeding me projects and
some of them involve "fixing" web pages, usually written in asp or cold
fusion. They wanted to give me a windows box since I don't have one.
When the tech asked me what I want in it, aside from the basic 3x9G SCSI
raid... I stopped him there and said "just gimme the card and disks,
forget the rest." So now the plan is to hang that array off the linux
box, load winders on it, and run that in vmware over X on the Sun 20" on
the SS20, leaving the 17" dedicated to e-mail and the 21" Cornerstone
for native other stuff. I figure I'm not really contaminating my
hardware if windows is trapped inside a virtual machine over X :).

Anyway, the SS20's not a bad machine. I have to admit it was a bit of an
adjustment coming from the linux box (that's now sitting in the corner)
with it's dual 500 P3's and 512M RAM. But I'm basically using it as an
xstation for the linux box for now. Kind of a waste, I know. Bit by bit
I'll move into it, though. I've gotta find some way to fill the drives.

> the SBus cards generate an amazing amount of heat.  just be glad you don't
> have a ZX framebuffer.  thing rivals the VAX 11/750 in heat creationg.

Yeah, but it was hot in that corner even before I put the GX in. There's
an aux video card under the GX, but that can't generate heat, it's just
a pcb with no chips on it. Maybe it was heat from the procs being blown
to there by the power supply? But it's hotter there than over the
processors, at least from the outside of the case.

> that doesn't sound too bad.  i think the druve should be fine.  i know that
> my surface of the sun runs at that temp or hotter as it's normal operating
> operating range.  you'd be surprised.  :)

Yeah, I'm just guessing it's around 150 from the fact that I can
actually leave my hand on it for a few seconds. I know some drives run
hotter than others. The bottom drive is probably the one I should worry
about, it's a 9G IBM, and I understand they can really get up there. The
top drive's a Quantum Atlas. I think they don't get quite so hot, at
least not enough to fry an egg.

Hey, there's a thought. The heat sink on the processors would make
interesting egg shapes for my kids...

---sambo