[geeks] VHS conversion

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 1 07:55:37 CDT 2001

joshua d boyd wrote:

> So, your mom uses computers?  My grandmother has one for word
> processing.  My father and uncles keep trying to convince her to use
> email, but she thinks it would be too hard.

Heh. My mom and dad both use computers, though in totally different
capacities. My dad's set-up is mighty cool, If I may say so (I set it
up). A dual p-pro running OS/2 Warp 4 with 256M RAM, and voice control.
He's blind, and when Warp 4 came out (a couple of years ago, and he has
no need to upgrade) with built-in voice control, I jumped on it for him.
He can talk to his computer and it talks back. It uses lynx for web
browsing, fed through the text-to-speech engine to read web pages to
him. It even <blip>s when it hits a link. This has made me a big
advocate for {viewable with any browser}. He uses one of those little
hand-held trackball thingies just for the buttons so he can click links.
It's better than books-on-tape!

---sambo
just joined geeks