[geeks] Re: 48v

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 23 15:08:08 CDT 2001

I'll grant your opinions and views, but suffice it to say, early on (1978-era) he was out there, buying Cromemco systems to do real work when most writers were still saving up to buy a Selectric typewriter.

He may not be the best technical person, but the breadth of his experience, and his level of interest is quite high. He writes "user columns" not technical (well "User" in mid-1980 Byte magazine terms), and rubs up against lots of new toys. He also, in my opinion, never pulled any punches - he introduced phrases like "good enough", "suits my needs," and the like to technical reviews. I never came across a "review" of any item in his writing that was just a puff piece - he put real items to use and reported on his success.

I didn't mean to portray him as anything other than a "power user" - (uber may be too strong, in retrospect)...

Ken