[geeks] Re: geeks digest, Vol 1 #64 - 14 msgs

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 14:53:31 CDT 2001

48 Volts.

In Phone Company Central Offices they have a large complex of batteries that provide backup power (wet cells, like oddly-shaped aquariums, with an open top typically, filled with *battery acid* and a complex array of metal strips) which operate at 48 Volts. All essential systems in the CO (revenue generating equipment) tends to run on the same 48 Volts, so as to not lose any power in conversion to higher/lower voltages.

Hope that is clear, any further questions, don't be afraid to ask...

Ken