[SunHELP] SPARCstation 2 idprom contents derivation?

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Sat Jul 13 14:56:14 CDT 2019

I have a couple of SPARCstations 2 that are in pretty good shape and have
their original serial numbers and manufacturing dates printed on them. For
example, the system with serial number 247F0660 was manufactured 24 November
1992.

Obviously the idprom battery is dead and I want to put real contents in when I
boot. Ibve read the FAQ and used it for years but still have a couple of
questions.

First, I know the Ethernet address and serial number and host ID were all
related, but therebs one byte too many for the serial to just be the host
ID/Ethernet address. (Since all addresses from Sun from that era started with
08:00:20.)  Do I drop the first or last byte from the 247F0660? Or is there an
algorithm to derive the Ethernet address from this?

Second, if I want to put a real manufacturing date in the idprom, should I
just translate the 24 November 1992 date into a UNIX timestamp (say for noon
PST on that date), in order to get an accurate four bytes to stick in the
idprom?

The sticker on the idprom itself isnbt too useful, unless someone can
actually read the barcode these days. Is that a thing yet? (The label on it
just says Q6CU, which seems like itbd have the same information, again if
someone can decode it...)

Thanks for any advice/hints!

  b Chris

Sent from my iPad