[SunHELP] Sun Blade 150 with busted IDE, solutions?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 17:54:05 CST 2019

Hi,

First off, have you tried all the usual IDE cable voodoo? Maybe disconnect
the IDE cables from the center riser board completely? Checked the drive
jumpers? Sacrificed a live chicken?

As for alternative boot avenues I run my Blade 150 using a 611 external SCA
case cabled to a Sun Symbios PCI SCSI card. I don't have a part number on
hand right now but they are pretty common cards. Just be sure to bag the
LVD version.

It's been a while since I got it running but if I recall one of the PCI
slots stopped the onboard video from working, so be careful of that. Also
the internal PSU was too weak to support the SCSI drive I waved at it,
hence the external case, but honestly because of the centre riser board
it'd be a PITA to cable up a SCSI drive internally anyway.

Of course, I use SCSI on mine purely because it's waaaaayy faster and more
flexible than the IDE. The cynic in me says that the IDE being dead in your
Blade 150 may be the best thing that ever happened to it!!

Hope some of that was helpful.

--

Mark