[SunHELP] "The State of SunHELP"...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Aug 17 10:20:33 CDT 2017

Here's a bit about what's going on with me lately.

I don't expect anything to happen that will affect SunHELP or the
lists in the near future, FYI.  If that changes I'll let you know;
if my medical condition worsens enough, I'll look at moving everything
to virtual hosting somewhere and handing it off to someone else.

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 09:29:35PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Looking for a 2010 or newer macbook pro in operable condition.
> RAM and HD specs not important - I'm gonna upgrade and put in a SSD
> anyway..
>
> Anybody have anything lying around that they'll let go for $200 or less?

One of the reasons I'm looking is so I can downgrade from my existing
2015 Macbook (the USB-C model) so that I can sell the 2015 to pay hospital
bills.

Here's a cut-and-paste from another forum, about what's going on with me
right now.  It's not good. :(

- - - -

I had an 8-day hospital stay two months ago wherein I was diagnosed with Type
2 diabetes... my body had been basically eating itself (diabetic ketoacidosis)
for a couple of months and my discharge weight was 100 lbs less than the last
time I'd weighed myself a few months before.

The diabetes is (easily) now under control with metformin and diet changes..
but as part of being checked out at the hospital, they found out that I've got
stage 4 kidney cancer (big mass on my left kidney, little spots in my lungs).

3-4 weeks from now, I'll be having robotic laproscopic surgery to remove that
left kidney and tumor, and a few weeks after that, will start immunotherapy to
hopefully get rid of the spots in my lungs. The weird thing is that I have had
zero symptoms at all.

I'm recovered from the DKA and finally have my strength and energy back, just
in time to deal with this surgery. I'm looking at 4-5 days in the hospital,
then probably a couple of weeks at home to rest and heal before I go back to
my (sitting at a desk all day) job.

I used up all of my PTO and sick leave with the last hospital stay (and after
insurance owe approximately $4200.. my only option is to ask for monthly
payments for the next 3 years).

Work does not offer any sort of short or long-term disability, but they've
offered to "advance" me next year's PTO/sick leave for this next hospital stay
and being out of work.

I'm worried that (a) I'm going to end up burning off all of that and have NO
vacation time for the next year, and (b) that I'll have to stay out for more
time than I will have advanced-leave, and end up not getting paid for a period
of time.

I hate the idea of having to do a GoFundMe, but I will probably have to cave
in the end and ask for charity from others. One of the reasons I hate this is
that I'm (usually) supposed to be the guy that helps others, not the guy that
asks for help himself...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford