[SunHELP] old HPNPL (JetDirect Printer Installer for Unix) and Solaris 11.x

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Sep 24 16:23:30 CDT 2014

On 09/24/14 16:55, Brian Richman wrote:
> We went to using CUPS on RHEL once our old Solaris 10 hardware got to EOL... Oracle wanted to "fire" us as a customer, so considering the four to nine times performance gains and halving of capital required to go from SPARC to x86, it was a no-brainer.

I have to admit that to me, the only justifications remaining for
continuing to use Solaris at all are:

1.  ZFS (and the number of other operating systems with ZFS support is
increasing);
2.  The Sun nfsd, *still* the reference NFS implementation.  It beats
any available Linux nfsd implementation hands down.  Not even close.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.