[SunHELP] ZFS recovery

Neurodancer neurodancer at icloud.com
Tue Jun 17 09:26:59 CDT 2014

I was running Solaris 10 and the other night I lost power. The server booted from mirrored ZFS drives so I hoped to be fine but it was not.

The server would not boot, dropping to grub instead of loading Solaris. grub was unable to see any files, and I got incorrect partition type errors. I tried booting from each mirror drive individually, same problems.

None of the commands like find, kernel, etc were able to see files on the drives.

I decided I might as well install a new OS and then migrate the data, since I assumed it was still OK, just the power failure had somehow killed some important boot information.

I installed OpenIndiana and it was unable to import the drives from Solaris 10. It said they were damaged which I expected, and to use -f to force the import. However, then OI said that the pools had incompatible features/versions.

I assumed since OI had much newer code that it would be able to load Solaris 10 volumes but evidently not.

I booted Solaris 11 from DVD... it can see, import, and mount the Solaris 10 drives, and it seems to report no damage.

OK, so... anyone have any idea what is going on? Why does the system halt at grub and cannot see the zpools, but Solaris 11 can?

If I have to, I could install Solaris 11 and then just copy all the data off the bad drives but I keep wondering if this isn't some really minor thing and I could get Solaris 10 running again.

Ideas?