[SunHELP] Where to buy Sun PSU fans?

Mark Benson markbenson at mac.com
Mon Jul 11 11:49:18 CDT 2011

Well, fans tend to be standard sizes and depths but the CFM rating and possibly also RPM is the important part as it dictates how much air they move at operating speeds. Too low a CFM fans will lead to the PSU overheating under stress and failing prematurely. I have also had issues on enterprise gear when tweaking fan RPM or fitting slower RPM fans that the firmware can freak out and report a fault state if the fan isn't maintaining close to the factory specified fan operating speed.

A lot of the RPM issues depend heavily in the firmware. I'd guess if your PSUs have dropped into a fault mode because the fans are not performing to spec then the system is monitoring both temperature and fan speed for likely failures - is the unit operating redundant PSUs?

I don't know the V210 intimately, so I'm not sure wether the bulkhead fans are the same or not. I'm afraid the only sure-fire way if telling is to grab a screwdriver and strip one of the PSUs down enough to get to the fan and positively ID the size and spec of fan you need.

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog
http://twitter.com/MDBenson