[SunHELP] anti-static protection required for installing RAM and new PSU?

vintagecoder at aol.com vintagecoder at aol.com
Thu Dec 29 10:39:04 CST 2011

>From markbenson at mac.com Thu Dec 29 16:35:16 2011

>> On 29 Dec 2011, at 13:41, vintagecoder at aol.com wrote:
>> Do I need to worry about static electricity (seems to be a lot in my
>> office) when installing RAM and a PSU in a server?
>
> Yes. I killed a PowerMac 9600 by grounding my hand through a RAM SIMM in a
> slot on the mainboard once. Not good sport :\

Ouch! and sorry to hear that :-(

>> If so, will grounding
>> myself temporarily by grabbing a handful of chassis be enough or do I
>> need
>> to buy a wrist strap or...
>
> A wrist strap grounded to a known goid ground is preferable, but if you
> can keep the chassis grounded and touch it regularely that has always
> sufficed for me (what caught me out on the PowerMac was you have to
> remove the mains lead to open the case and I forgot to replace it with
> the case open).

For the RAM I can certainly have the server plugged in and the chassis
should be grounded. For the PSU I certainly want the server NOT plugged in
since grounding myself there would be more hazardous to me than to the
server and it's a single PSU box so there isn't any way to have it plugged
in that would help. I'm more concerned about how to do that part without
frying myself or the server. Thanks.