[SunHELP] Sun Cluster 3.2.2 Apache HA failure, or cludge?

Computing computing at bookscape.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 07:13:24 CST 2009

               2 related problems on the same Apache cluster:

               [Problem 1:]
               clsetup error:  ERROR: Failed to get connection to node
localhost
               SunOS netra1 5.10 Generic_127127-11 sun4u sparc
SUNW,UltraAX-i2
               lo0:
flags=2001000848<LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
                    inet 0.0.0.0 netmask ff000000
               lo0:1:
flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index
1
                    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

               [Problem 2:]
                2 node cluster running Apache 2.0.63
                nslookup ApacheOnlyFailoverHostName_1 (answer) 10.10.10.250
                       eri0:1:
flags=1040843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DEPRECATED,IPv4> mtu 1500 index
2
                               inet 10.10.10.250 netmask ffffff00 broadcast
10.10.10.255

               clresourcegroup show OnlyCluster-harg
                         Resource Group:  OnlyCluster-harg
                         RG_description:   <NULL>
                         RG_mode:          Failover
                         RG_state:           Unmanaged
                         Failback:             False
                         Nodelist:             netra3 netra1

               [Long description] (An apache failover workaround functions.)
               Having natively only eri0/1 I have used lo0 as my second
private adapter and
               aliased lo0:1 as 127.0.0.1 but clsetup will not connect to
the aliased interface.
                   Scdsbuilder packaged an apache GDS with apachectl
stop/start. All works fine
               on the logicalhostname addressed to 10.10.10.250 fails over
perfectly well from node2
               to node1. (ie apache failover does work.)
                     But, (and it's a big but,) I believe in truth I only
have a failover ipaddress.
               At each boot sequence: Apache Listen 10.10.10.250 port 80,
only works on node1 if I
               delay /etc/rc3.d/S90apache for three minutes until failover
ipaddress 10.10.10.250
               is "configured/up/available", else apache dies "could not
locate ipaddress"
                     And, apache will only work on node2 if I configure
apache Listen *.80 (listen any)
               Effectively what I've done is configure a failover ip
10.10.10.250 which works perfectly
               between the two hosts, failing backwards and forwards. But
apache, on the other hand
               must be "workarounded" or "bodged" to fail backwards and
forwards, but at the cost
               of adding cludges to my /etc/rc3.d scripts, (and cludging one
httpd.conf to listen any)
                     Ideally I would have liked to add the apache service
using clsetup. But it
               won't add an apache service on my setup.

               Given this scenario, is there a more elegant way of getting
my apache to failover?
               Or have I done the best possible job given my constraints and
circumstances?

 Andrew