[SunHELP] Disk Suite - How to change a failed drive

Collin Baillie collin at xorotude.com
Tue Aug 25 00:47:17 CDT 2009

Hi,

Long time rescue list lurker, first time sunhelp list poster. I'm a part
time administrator of a Solaris 9 server which has recently suffered a
disk failure. I'm a linux admin, with a little solaris experience, but
nothing worth speaking of with the Disk Suite software.

We got a new disk in, but I was unable to follow the usual procedure for
removing the disk from the system, as the commands to 'remove' it
would hang. I have pulled the old disk and inserted the new disk and
attached the disk successfully (I thought). The mirror progressed a fair
way into the rebuild ok at any rate. I did leave before the rebuild was
100% complete.

Now the disk is displaying as unavailable, but I have noticed that the
old disks details are showing up when checking drive status.

I think because the old disk wasn't removed properly, the system still
thinks it's the drive it wants to talk to.

The disk is part of 2 mirrors, and from memory I believe the / filesystem
is on one of those mirrors (the system is remote, and I don't have
details with me right now).

Most of the docs I remember reading at the time, spoke about the
procedure working for non-system filesystems (ie data only...)

Can anyone point me toward a useful resource on removing the old drive
completely, and attaching the new one properly?

Sorry if this is a little vague, I can get more info when I have better
access to the server.

Thanks,

Collin