[SunHELP] How to update a DNS record for Bind9

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Dec 8 18:03:52 CST 2008

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Dave Sailors wrote:
>> I need to move a hostname on our private network from one IP address to
>> another. We are running bind9. Can I just change the
>> /var/bind/internal/hosts file and then recycle named
>> (/etc/init.d/named.run stop and /etc/init.d/named.run start) or do I
>> need to do something else? How does it get propagated to other name
>> servers?
>
> If that's the correct file that BIND is reading, then:
>
> (1) make the necessary changes to the A and PTR records
>
> (2) Change the serial number in the file
>     (typically date plus an ordinal, so something like 2008120801)
>
> (3) Restart BIND, or just instruct it to reload the zone using rndc
>     (most basic form:  rndc reload, but see rndc.8)

Oh, I forgot to answer the propagation question.  But the short version
is, the updated serial number tells your server to push the zone out to
properly-configured slaves that carry the zone.  Beyond that, it'll
propagate as cached lookups expire and the nameservers repeat the
lookup.   How long that takes depends largely on how long you have your
TTL set to in the zone file.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.