[SunHELP] Solaris Management Center installation

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Feb 16 08:11:43 CST 2007

" From: Paul Walsh <Paul.Walsh at uce.ac.uk>
"
" I've just installed SMC 3.6.1 on a V210 running Solaris 9, following
" the instructions at
"
" http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5418/6n7gk6ild?a=view
"
" Everything appears to have started up correctly except for the web
" server.  On checking the log file I see the following:
"
" Web user check failed: unable to become the user identity noaccess.
" This may be due to one of the following:
" - noaccess may not be a valid unix user.
" - No permissions to read the noaccess home directory.
" - No permissions to read the root (/) home directory.
" - Invalid login shell for the user noaccess.
"
" the /etc/passwd entry for noaccess is the default:
"
" noaccess:x:60002:60002:No Access User:/:/bin/false
"
" How/where does SMC determine which user to run the web server as?
" There's nothing in the installation procedure that mentions it.  Is
" it possible to start up the web server using a different identity?

maybe you could fix it by just adding /bin/false to /etc/shells.
that's a trick for allowing ftp but not direct login for users.