[SunHELP] unsupported compression method 99

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Dec 19 17:04:19 CST 2007

Martin Frost wrote:

> The method for password-protecting Zip files changed a couple of years
> ago. The old encryption method was too easy to brute-force on modern
> hardware. I believe it now uses AES.
>
> Could it be that your users have finally upgraded from the old vulnerable
> version?
>
> Martin

Must be.  Just an update to what I said earlier.  I compiled p7zip from
source and it did not work (actually the p7zip shell script does not
work on Solaris 9 since mktemp does not exist there, so I'm talking
about the binary 7z).  And, I checked sfw and I found that a package
of p7zip was made available on Monday.  So, I installed that.  But,
I get the same error message so it's not just my fat fingers.  That's
too bad since I just talked to PKWARE and if you have to ask, you can't
afford SecureZip.

Rodney