[SunHELP] Fighting with OpenOffice

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Dec 4 13:52:45 CST 2007

" From: Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu>
"
" Hi Gang:
"
" Other than the OS, I haven't installed much with packages.  Some
" exceptions are Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice.  Firefox and
" Thunderbird force you to pkgrm them before a new pkgadd.  Is
" there some way that you can do both at the same time?  In any case,
" OpenOffice doesn't require this.  I thought that this was because it
" was just being nice and taking care of that.  However, after realizing
" that I had a mixed-up installation of 2.2 combined with 2.3, that's not
" the case.  So, I guess, I have the same question again.  Is there an
" easy way to upgrade a package without having to manually remove it
" first?  For OpenOffice this is really a pain since there are currently
" 29 packages that you have to name to remove.

it's not -that- hard.  you can grep pkginfo's output for openoffice,
then remove them all with a single pkgrm.

i just went looking for 2.3 and was informed that solaris sparc
without jre doesn't exist.  is it just too new?