[SunHELP] questions about new SMF services

Tom Lieuallen toml at engr.orst.edu
Mon Apr 16 23:55:53 CDT 2007

I have several questions about SMF services in solaris 10.  We've been at 10
for a while and I've setup a handful of SMF services for various things such as
apache, samba (local compile), flexlm, etc.  It seems to be working for the
most part.  However, we've encountered several problems.

apache 1 on a T2000 would dump core and keep restarting on us (a matter of
hours or days).  However, when we'd disable it in SMF and ran it manually, not
a problem.  We went back to the old boring init.d startup for it and not a peep
out of it.

samba has been acting up as well.  Same sort of thing; dumped core on us for a
while with SMF.  We haven't given up on SMF for it yet (or seen if it was more
stable when started otherwise), but its day is coming.  :-(

Finally, twice we've had a SMF instance of samba go out to lunch.  The samba
processes were killed or died and SMF didn't know about it.  It thought samba
was still online.  We couldn't do anything with it.  I ended up removing the
service with svccfg delete.  Even that didn't make svc/SMF (svc.startd, I
think) give up.  We had to end up rebooting.

This is the stop definition.

         <exec_method
                 type='method'
                 name='stop'
                 exec=':kill'
                 timeout_seconds='60'>
         </exec_method>

I realize there just isn't anything to go on with this, so the real question is
whether there are tricks out there or whether there are certain things that
just don't play well with SMF.

thank you

Tom Lieuallen
Oregon State University