[SunHELP] Hardlinks in Solaris 8

Martin Frost martin at omniconsumerproducts.com
Mon Apr 16 07:15:44 CDT 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Stefan Bielenberg wrote:

> I want to use hardlinks insteed of coping
> real files and subdirectories.

> In Linux I can do something like this:
>   cp -al dir1 dir2

That's not a Linux feature. It's an extension in the GNU version of cp,
which happens to be  the version of cp included in most Linux
distributions.

If you want the same functionality, you can install GNU cp on Solaris.
Either build it from source, or use a pre-built binary package, such as:

http://sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc8.html#coreutils

or, to install just the file-related utilities:

http://sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc8.html#fileutils

Once you've done this you can use /usr/local/bin/cp rather than cp, and
you'll get this feature.

Martin