[SunHELP] perms on /tmp (after mounting) are incorrect

listmail listmail at triad.rr.com
Mon Oct 2 12:34:28 CDT 2006

My permissions on /tmp are not 1777 after it is mounted.  I commented
out /tmp in /etc/vfstab and booted single user mode and found that the
base directory does have the correct permissions (before mount).  I'm a
little confused as to how this is possible.   I've seen quite a few
posts about /tmp permissions, but most are resolved by making sure the
permissions are correct on the base dir before mounting....

/tmp permissions after mount are:
drwxrwxr-x   5 root     root         393 Oct  2 13:19 tmp

my /etc/vfstab:
#device         device          mount           FS      fsck    mount
mount
#to mount       to fsck         point           type    pass    at boot
options
#
fd              -               /dev/fd         fd      -       no      -
/proc           -               /proc           proc    -       no      -
/dev/md/dsk/d0  -               -               swap    -       no      -
/dev/md/dsk/d1  /dev/md/rdsk/d1 /               ufs     1       no      -
swap            -               /tmp            tmpfs   -       yes     -

Solaris 9
This is 1 of 4 servers with fresh installs of Solaris 9 OS and the only
one that
exhibits this problem