[SunHELP] disk inquiry question

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 26 17:53:04 CDT 2006

Cynthia Leacock wrote:
> what is the equivalent of diskinfo in solaris.  I think I have a bad disk and I am trying to figure out to to tell if the disk has gone bad.
>
>   I did google and I saw doing fsck on the disk.  Doing this I would have to boot up in single user mode right?  Is that the only way?

If it's the root disk, yes, you should boot in single-user mode to fsck
it.  Otherwise, you can just umount it and fsck it, making sure first
(of course) that nothing is using it.  But, before you do that, what are
you trying to accomplish?  fsck checks filesystems, it does not test disks.

There are tools such as smartmon which can retrieve disk error
information.  That might be more what you're looking for.