[SunHELP] Successful GCC builds with bound checking patch?

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Jun 9 09:11:27 CDT 2006

Javier O. Augusto wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>> Has anyone successfully built GCC with the bounds-checking patch
>> on Solaris 9, SPARC?
>
> There's a GCC 4.x precompiled version from Sun on "Downloads". I can't tell you for sure if there's support for Solaris 9, I got the Solaris 10 SPARC version instead..
>
> HTH,

Hi Javier:

Thanks for the tip.  For those who are interested, this Sun version of
GCC 4.0.2 seems to provide highly optimized code.  However, it doesn't
appear to have bounds checking.  I couldn't tell because it didn't
compile for me and the patch doesn't apply to this code either.  Of
course, there are binaries available, but I couldn't use them since we
have 3 versions of GCC installed with different --program-suffix
settings.  Luckily, plain GCC 4.0.2 did finally compile with the patch
for me and is working.  Not sure why 3.3.4 and 4.0.0 did not compile for
bounds checking.  As far as I can tell, this patch is the only way to
get bounds checking on SPARC since mudflap is not supported on this
architecture.

Thanks,

Rodney