[SunHELP] 2-host filesystem mount?

David Stipp dstipp at coolhack.net
Thu Jun 8 12:47:00 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:30:05AM -0400, David Strom wrote:
>Has any one tried/done this?  Successfully, or not?  We don't have
>budget $$ for commercial cluster software, and really don't want to do
>that, anyways.  TIA, as always.

I've never done this, but Solaris Volume Manager and Sun Cluster both
have the concept of shared disk sets.  I don't think that this is
exactly what you want though.  (SVM and Sun Cluster are avail at no cost
in/with Solaris though.)

What you describe, multi-reader and single writer, is typically in the
domain of QFS if you want to do it right.

If I understand correctly, you have one server as the primary, and the
other as a secondary.  Both share the disk set. (lun, disk, whatever).
If the primary starts erratically, the cluster software will tell the
second machine to take the disk set, which would cause the primary host
to panic and release the disk set.  The act of taking the disk set would
allow the machine to write to it.

There may be some other mode that I don't know about, but this might get
you steered towards something...

dks

--
David Stipp <dstipp at coolhack.net>