[SunHELP] What exactly does a "Link Failure" mean on startup (5.10 - 1/06 x86)

Dave K davek08054 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 09:02:15 CST 2006

On 1/31/06, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 01:34:04PM -0500, Dave K wrote:
> > Just taking a SWAG here, are you using a cross-over cable or similar
> > less than fully supported means of interconnection?
>
> Since when was a crossover cable a "less than fully supported means of
> interconnection" ?

A couple of years ago we did some research here at $WORK and found
that officially it is not a supported connection.  Something to do
with the ability of a system to see it's own data.  The very type of
thing that might cause some diagnostics to report a failure even if
the link is otherwise functional

Of course the same references (which I unfortunately don't have handy)
that say it isn't officially supported also state that it works in a
very high percentage of cases.  But no one would "guarantee" it would
work.

I will also say that the only time I've seen a crossover cable not
work is with auto-configuring ports (like on the Netra 240).

--
Dave K
Unix Systems & Network Administrator