[SunHELP] I/O size tuning, Solaris 8, Oracle 8, EMC

listmail listmail at triad.rr.com
Mon Jan 30 13:35:59 CST 2006

A while back a question was posted to the sunhelp mailing list that I
find interesting. Does anyone have any feedback on this topic?

We run Oracle Applications E-Buisness suite 11.5.8 on a couple of
Solaris 8 boxes and a EMC Clariion FC4700. We currently have a few 4
spindle - raid 1+0 luns that have a 128k stripe size. We chose to split
the data and indexes in this setup.

Going forward into a new design, we are currently investing into to a
larger 16 spindle Raid 1+0 setup and combing all the index and
tablespace data files together. One question that has come up is whether
or not we should change to a larger stripe size. We currently have
maxphys and vol_maxio set at their defaults, but yet I have seen a few
documents out there that keep referencing this 1mb stripe. Any time that
someone may have to provide some feedback related to this topic would be
greatly appreciated. Im only asking for opinions as I want to consider
as much as possible before making a final descision. Unfortunately I do
not have a test enviroment within the FC4700.

It would appear to me that staying at the 128k IO size, but yet
implementing the 1mb stripe size could also be an option.

~~~Previous Discussion

SunHELP] I/O size tuning : VxVM/EMC Symmetrix/FC-AL/Solaris/Oracle
DAUBIGNE Sebastien - BOR ( <removed )
Thu Feb 6 08:40:32 CST 2003