[SunHELP] Software RAID on E450

David Froman dfroman at cray-powered.org
Mon Jan 23 16:15:32 CST 2006

I have an Enterprise 450 with 4/300 processors and 1.5Gig of RAM.  I also have
a D1000 I would like to set up as a raid array.  So my questions are:

1.  Does anyone know of a HVD RAID controller card?  I have a Wintel server as
well so I could put the D1000 on it if there are any PC based controllers.

2.  Does anyone know the performance I can expect running software RAID using
Solaris Volume Manager in Solaris 10?  The drives are a mix of Seagate
ST318404, Fujitsu MAJ3182MC and IBM DDYS-18350.  The SCSI controller is a
SYM22802.  The workload of the server is: email, apache (<2500 hits per day),
mysql. The D1000 will be storing media files that will be accessed from a
media center pc, so SAMBA will also be running.  All the computers on the
network are 100Mb and run through a Catalyst 5000 switch.

3.  I would like to set the cabinet up at 11 data/parity and 1 hot standby if
that is possible.  I have absolutely 0 experience with SVM so can someone
advise if that is even possible?

4.  In the near future I will be a SRC/P RAID controller for the internal
expansion drives.  Will I get myself into trouble running both hardware and
software raid on the same box?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave