[SunHELP] Disk format solution

David Strom dstrom at ciesin.columbia.edu
Mon Jan 16 13:35:43 CST 2006

I wasn't able to get the prtvtoc & fmthard combo to work, I think that
fmthard doesn't update the right info on the disk... the A1000 disk info
has fewer sectors than the Sun 9GB disk.  I think that this last poster
is right, the A1000 reserves some sectors for itself (kind of like the
private vs. public partitions that Veritas Volume Manager uses).  I
don't really know for sure.

But, I did figure out how to change the disk -- format, then select the
disk, then select the "type" option, and select the Sun 9.0GB disk...
and lablel the disk.  Voila!  Not an A1000 disk any more.  I don't
recall ever using the "type" option before.

And, yes, the disks in question were the same Seagate part number.  I
will note that all of the Sun part-numbered 9GB disks had the same
number of cylinders, at least the ones I looked at.

--
David Strom