[SunHELP] D-Link DFE-530TX+ (Realtek8139) does not work

René Berber r.berber at computer.org
Sun Feb 5 21:14:42 CST 2006

mfcardenas wrote:

> I reinstalled solaris, but this time did not ask for network configuration
:S the only thing asked was the name of the host and I set it to "solaris"

The installation always ask for that.  If this is not working try install in
non-graphical option, it's option 4 at the start.

>>You need to look the specific messages to see if the card and
>>driver are
>>operating, look into /var/log/messages, at the last boot messages.
>

> well there was no /var/log/messages file :S but tried wuth "dmesg | less"
and find nothing about the ethernet...

My mistake, it's /var/adm/messages.

> tried to "dmesg | grep XXX" with network ethernet realtek and pci1186 but
did not find nothing...

grep won't help if you don't know what driver is used.  And if you did not
define a network at insallation there may be no driver in use.

>>If the card is operating under Solaris then you probably did not
>>configure it
>>when you installed the operating system.  See if /etc/hostname.*
>>exist, the
>>last
>>part of the file name should be rtls0 (or something similar) if the
>>driverwas
>>configured.
>

> There was not /etc/hostname.*

So the network was not configured.

>>Report back with detail if you find something with the above checks.
>

> In short words did not find nothing, I've installed the system 4 times and
can't make it work with network. Is there some way to configure it once the
system is installed and running? I read the basic installation PDF and does
not mention nothing about network, I took a look at the basic/advanced
administration PDFs and did not find nothing too, at least at first sight...

> Is there a configuration tool to do it? looked all the menus at the java
desktop environment and the CDE but did not find nothing. Installation takes
up to 3 hours and don't want to reinstall again

You don't have to reinstall, nobody said that you do that.

The easiest way to change the network configuration is running sys-unconfig
and
rebooting.

After that you will go again into the steps where you are asked if you want a
network, etc.

HTH
--
Reni Berber