[SunHELP] solaris 10 for an ultra-1?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Feb 3 10:59:57 CST 2006

" From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
"
" On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 01:31:34PM -0700, Arthur Wouk wrote:
" > i have an ultra-1 enterprise machine, 200mhz cpu, 1gig ram, and four
" > []
" > 1)  will going to 64bits make the system run significantly faster?
"
" No.  You might even get a performance *hit*.

now i remember!

this has to do with register utilization - in 32b you have effectively
almost twice as many available since many can be segmented.

" > 2) has anyone gotten solaris10 to run on such an upgraded ultra-1?
"
" Not going to happen.  Sol10 will only run on a 200Mhz or faster
" UltraSPARC-II or better.  No support for UltraSPARC-I even exists in
" the current sources as far as I know (big discussions about this
" on the OpenSolaris-discuss list a few months ago).

i also remember this now.  iirc pre-release s10 [alpha? beta?] still
ran on us1 chips but that was taken out of the official releases.