[SunHELP] solaris 10 for an ultra-1?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Feb 2 19:15:27 CST 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 01:31:34PM -0700, Arthur Wouk wrote:
> i have an ultra-1 enterprise machine, 200mhz cpu, 1gig ram, and four
> drives with 4, 9, 18, 18 gigs respectively. (the latter two are in 511
> boxes.)  i have a set of instructions for making the ultra-1 work as
> a 64 bit machine. (i assume the famous freeze will not occur, sinc eit
> is so unlikely.)
> i assume there is a 64bit wide memory access present, and the cpu is
> supposed to be 64bit capable.
> 1)  will going to 64bits make the system run significantly faster?

No.  You might even get a performance *hit*.

> 2) has anyone gotten solaris10 to run on such an upgraded ultra-1?

Not going to happen.  Sol10 will only run on a 200Mhz or faster
UltraSPARC-II or better.  No support for UltraSPARC-I even exists in
the current sources as far as I know (big discussions about this
on the OpenSolaris-discuss list a few months ago).

BIll

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas