[SunHELP] Booting Solaris&Linux --- and doubts on installation

Miguel Cardenas mfcardenas at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Feb 1 13:21:02 CST 2006

Hello list

I have just installed solaris 10 on my computer to try it, but my LILO (LInux
LOader) got overwritten by GRUB and now only boots Solaris...

My system configuration is

IDE primary master: solaris 10 (windows XP before)
IDE primary slave: cdrw
IDE secondary master: linux slackware 10.2
IDE secondary slave: dvdrw

and used LILO to boot linux/windows...

Now, my questions are:

1. is it possible to start solaris using lilo? maybe appending and entry like
this

other = /dev/hda1
  label = Solaris
  table = /dev/hda

2. if not possible, how can I add my linux to the GRUB installed by solaris?
my current lilo has these entries

# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11.11
  root = /dev/hdc2
  label = DDM
  read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends

# Linux bootable partition config begins (the default kernel)
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hdc2
  label = Linux
  read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends

----------------------------------

I was installing solaris from DVD, but at the end of installation had troubles
after reboot, when asked for the media to install documentation, java.. etc I
selected CD/DVD, but instead of continue reading from the DVDRW ejected the
CDRW and could not do anything else except SKYPE installing them, had no
chance to choose the CD/DVD device to specify the DVD and were not installed.

Here I have 2 doubts:

- how can install now those packages?

- how can I avoid after installation reboot to look for the CD instead the DVD
drive? I could disconnect the CDRW and reinstall but don't like this
"solution"...

Thanks!!!