[SunHELP] V240 RAID

Daniel Nuno daniel.nuno at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 14:29:07 CST 2006

The 4 slots of the Ultra 450 are not connected to a HW RAID controller, so
you have to use SVM.

There is a HW RAID controller available for the Ultra 450, but is not really
a good option and I guess would be very hard to obtain anyway.

My approach would be to use a Ultra 250 or 450 for the OS and applications +
HBA + D1000 for Data.

The D1000 could be configured in RAID 5 using SVM.

The D1000 is a JBOD.

If you want HW RAID, there is an Array named A1000, but you have to use RAID
Manager which is a very old SW, hard to obtain, etc. The A1000 are a
nightmare because of the batteries and the firmware.

The U250, U450, D1000 and A1000 are EOL (end of life), so think about the
risks of obtaining spare parts.

If you can use a better server then could be a V240 + HBA + one JBOD SCSI
array from the list:
- S1 array (3 slots)
- 3120 Array (4 slots)
- Multipack Array (6 slots)

If you have much more money and you want HW RAID cababilities, then use a:
- 3511 FC Array
- 6120 FC Array

Regards,
Daniel Nuno