[SunHELP] V240 RAID

Mike xa87n at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 11:29:07 CST 2006

--- Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/6/06, Mike <xa87n at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > If you're simply wanting to get experience of RAID5 and aren't
> *too*
> > > bothered about performance there are probably some
> > > older systems available on the internet, though depending on the
> age
> > > of the system you may be looking at 36Gb disks so
> > > you'd want 7 or 8 of those in a desktop multipack or similar.
> >
> > Performance is not critically important, mostly I need to have a
> couple
> > of hundred GB available. So older systems are OK, with either
> built-in
> > or extra PCI RAID host adapter.
> >
> > Mostly, it should be no more than few thousand $$, sparc, and
> without
> > external storage. Older hardware is fine.
>
> How much rack space do you have? Anyway, back to V240, yes it takes 4
> drives, 146GB max each if under sun support but there are ways to go
> higher. You mention that performance is not critically important, but
> max space is. Does it need to be redundant?

A couple of U, maybe 3. Unofficial is fine. It has to be redundant, it
will run some sort of a database, I don't know which one.

> You could also add something like an ST-D130 adding 3 more drives in
> 1U (i know you said no external, but you might want to consider a 1U
> solution).

Yes, thanks, definitely will consider this one.

> Why hardware raid, also? What are you going to run on this? zfs
> zraid1
> with compression is really nice on those v240. BTW, sol 10 u4 will
> let
> you configure zraid1 including boot disk (supported by sun - you can
> actually do this on x86 hardware with solaris 10 u3 or solaris nevada
> but it is unsupported). zfs compression has given me a serious
> performance boost, except with oracle database, but that's because I
> didn't match the zfs settings to the database and didn't have time to
> play with this.

Well, its been a while since I used anything but VRTS (out of question
because of licensing costs), so without giving it a lot of serious
thought, it was simpler to just use hardware raid. The second note is
performance, although performance is not critical, avoiding any
slowdowns is always welcome. But if software raid is decent now, that
is fine and could work out.

So if zraid or SVM is something to consider (and SVM comes with
Sol10?), then great. Can zfs do raid5? Are they solid, in case the
server crashes, does it recover fine?

Thanks!

Mike