[SunHELP] V240 RAID

David Strom dstrom at ciesin.columbia.edu
Wed Dec 6 09:26:58 CST 2006

I only get the digest, so I hope this isn't too late to help...

Well, Mike, I think you could do this, but I can't say if you'll love it:

The old Disksuite mechanism (now Volume Manager, iirc) for "software"
RAID uses partitions, not disks.  So, you could put 4 x 146 GB disks in
your V240.  Say you use 46GB for OS & swap  and have at least 1
partition left over (better to have 2, 2nd small one, ~100MB for metadb)
of 100GB.  Create same size 100GB partitions on the 3rd & 4th disk, and
voila!  You have a 4 x 100GB RAID-5 metadevice = ~300GB useable.  You
then have the 46GB space left on the 3rd & 4th disks for whatever you
want... 3rd OS mirror?  Or another Raid-1 46GB space with better write
performance than RAID-5 for database logs or any other write-intensive
use.  You can create a soft parition on the RAID-5 metadevice, in case
you want to be able to carve it up, that would give you an expandable
solution where you can allocate 200GB to start, and grow later if you
haven't otherwise used the space.

HTH, YMMV.
--
David Strom