[SunHELP] Can't boot from Solaris 10 6/06 DVD on SunFire 240

Dave K davek08054 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 07:56:01 CDT 2006

On 8/31/06, Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> wrote:

> I downloaded the Solaris 10 6/06 DVD for Sparc, as I'd like to
> install it on a SunFire 240 system. ....
>
> Now, how do I boot from the DVD to start the installation? I
> inserted the DVD and got me a boot prompt:

Does the system have an existing OS on disk you can boot into and see
if you can read the DVD?

Does the DVD drive light come on and the disc spin up?  You may want
to power off and remove and reinsert the drive.

Do you have any other bootable CDs or DVDs you could use to test with?

Consider trying a "set-defaults", as mucked-up eeprom settings can
cause all sorts of issues  (of course if you need/want custom settings
this may be an issue).  After the "set-defaults", "boot cdrom" should
be all you need to, assuming this is a Sun internal DVD drive we're
talking about.

Consider burning another DVD, preferably using another brand of blank
discs.  I have seen cheap recordable DVDs that would look okay on one
system but be unreadable on another.

--
Dave K
Unix Systems & Network Administrator