[SunHELP] sharing of linux volume in to the sun solaris

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Tue Aug 15 06:32:02 CDT 2006

> I want to share the linux volume into the sun server through the nfs
> service.
> Any help.

I do this at home, but set it up some time ago. I believe that the
basics are: putting the volumes you want to export into /etc/exports,
starting nfs, and mounting the export on the Solaris machine.

The man page for exports will tell you about the format for
/etc/exports. How you start nfs varies by distribution. On my slackware
box, I run /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd or change it to executable to have it start
on boot. On RedHat based systems, I think it is 'service nfs start' or
something like that, run as root.

On the Solaris box, you will run (as root) a mount command:
mount linuxbox:/path/to/export /mount/point
where 'linuuxbox' is the linux hostname and /path/to/export is the full
path to the directory you want to mount.

I have not described much of security, and I'm sure others with more
experience with NFS will have more to add, but I think this covers the
basics.

Steve