[SunHELP] Unable to ' -static' compile programs with gcc

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Oct 26 09:43:55 CDT 2005

" From: fabio <fabio at crearium.com>
"
" hello,
"
" -bash-3.00$ cat 1.c;\gcc -static -ggdb 1.c -o 1
" main(){
"       printf("hello world\n");
" }
" ld: fatal: library -lc: not found
" ld: fatal: library -lc: not found
" ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to 1
" collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
"
" -bash-3.00$ find / -name "libc.so.1" -print 2>/dev/null
" /usr/lib/sparcv9/libc.so.1
" /usr/lib/libc.so.1
" /usr/lib/libp/libc.so.1
" /usr/lib/libp/sparcv9/libc.so.1
" /lib/sparcv9/libc.so.1
" /lib/libc.so.1

these are dynamic; static would be libc.a

" -bash-3.00$ uname -srm
" SunOS 5.10 sun4u
"
" The option -g works fine but I need the option ggdb. Option -static
" doesnt work either. But It compiles ok if no option is given.

sun's position on late-model solarii is that static binaries and
static linking are passe'.  unless gcc comes with its own libc you're
out of luck.  i don't think sun's forte compiler comes with static
libs either.

just checked my system, solaris 8.  it has static libs; even bsdcompat
libs.  if you really need a static binary you could either set up a s8
system or try something i've long had in mind: install s8 [libs,
headers, compiler etc. - everything] in a chrooted jail under s10 and
try compiling there.  the static s8 bin would of course still run under
s10, unless it requires something unusual.