[SunHELP] USB on an Ultra 5

Mark Benson markbenson at mac.com
Sun Oct 16 16:18:08 CDT 2005

Does anyone here know if a standard NEC chipset USB 2.0 adapter will
allow my Ultra 5 running Solaris 9.0 (9/04) to use USB 2.0 mass
storage devices?

I installed the card and nothing blew up so I presumed it was OK. I
gathered at the very least that a lot of the cards Sun list as
supported don't hotplug, so I shut it down and plugged in a USB flash
key. I fired the machine up again and nothing thew up any errors. I
got a window that popped up when I logged into CDE that said 'Format
Media: /vol/dev/rdsk/s1t0d0/unknown_format' and presented me with
various formatting options. I couldn't click the 'format' button
until I had opened the slice utility and assigned the disk a slice.
Thing was I wanted to format as a PCFS DOS disk so I didn't want to
slice it. Add to that the fact that the slice utility reported the
capacity wrong and I was starting to get suspicious. I managed to get
it to format, and ok'd the window that said it and completed the
format. Then a minute later 2 more windows popup asking me to format
the media.

It doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

--
Mark Benson