[SunHELP] OpenBOOT commands make blade 1000 useless

stephen price sd_price at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 11:42:07 CDT 2005

I posted this a few weeks ago.  Since the 1000 has a
usb keyboard, it doesn't have a STOP-A, STOP-N etc.
Good luck !
regards
steve

Document Audience: SPECTRUM
Document ID: 7047
Title: Resetting NVRAM on a Sun system
Update Date: Tue Sep 13 00:00:00 MDT 2005
Products:  Solaris,  Sun Blade 2000 Workstation,  Sun
Blade 1000 Workstation,  Sun Fire 280R Server,  Sun
Fire V880 Server,  Sun Fire V480 Server,  Sun Fire
V890 Server,  Sun Fire V490 Server
Technical Areas:  NVRAM (Non-Volatile Read-Only
Memory)

Keyword(s):resetting, nvram, netra 20, sun fire, sun
blade, sun, systems

This document explains how to reset the NVRAM back to
its default settings on a
Sun system.

Document Body:

NOTE: Before executing the following, it is important
and highly recommended to
note (print out) the current NVRAM settings before
changing these options back
to their default settings.

There are two ways of resetting the NVRAM:

1)  At the OK prompt:

        ok  set-defaults                        resets
most parameters
        ok  set-default 'parameter'             resets
that one parameter
        for example: ok  set-default auto-boot?

2)  At boot
    This is helpful when an improperly created device
alias for a monitor has
been created and no display is going to the screen.

The most common method is to issue L1+n from the
keyboard (WYSE) while powering
on the system.  Hold down this key combination until
you see video with a
message stating that the NVRAM parameters have been
set to their default values.

On some Sun keyboards, the "L1" key is replaced with a
"STOP" key. Therefore,
issue the key sequence STOP+n simultaneously from the
keyboard while powering on
the system.  Hold down this key combination until you
see video with a message
stating that the NVRAM parameters have been set to
their default values.

Newer systems (Sun Blade[TM] workstations and Sun
Fire[TM] hardware) are using
USB Keyboards and Mice. Unlike the older 8 pin
mini-din keyboards, these systems
do not have a "STOP+N" key sequence to reset the
OBP/NVRAM parameters. Instead,
a "safe NVRAM" boot mode is available. Remember that
unlike a STOP+N which
restores ALL factory NVRAM parameters, the "safe
NVRAM" boot only alters a few
parameters and only for that one boot cycle. The
described work around allows
booting any USB keyboard type system, including RSC
equipped servers, to the OK
prompt and communicating with these systems via the
serial ttya console.

Note: For security reasons this procedure does not
reset the settings for
security-mode and security-password. The information
from this Infodoc cannot be
used to recover from a lost OBP password. Please
contact Sun Service to get a
replacement NVRAM in such circumstances.

 ==================== Procedure ====================

1. Press the power button to power up the system.

2. Once the maintenance LED starts to flash rapidly,
immediately press the Power
button twice (similar to double-clicking a mouse, but
leave a short gap of
around 1 second between presses, to have the action
reliably registered.) The
actual time when you do the double press of the power
button is the point in
POST when the maintenance LED (wrench light) rapidly
flashes.

NOTE:

If you double press too late or too soon, the system
will power off. Do not get
confused with the earlier occurrences of the
maintenance and OK to remove LEDs
flashing together. This is a part of the system test
to make sure the LEDs are
functional.

If you're running POST even in MIN level, it will be
several minutes depending
upon your configuration, before the maintenance LED
flashes rapidly.

A screen similar to the following is displayed to
indicate that you have
successfully reset the OpenBoot NVRAM configuration
variables to their default
values:

 Sun Fire xxx (8 X UltraSPARC-III), Keyboard Present

 OpenBoot x.x, 256 MB memory installed, Serial
#xxxxxxxx.

 Ethernet address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, Host ID:
xxxxxxxx.

 Safe NVRAM mode, the following nvram configuration
variables have been
overridden:

 diag-switch? is true
 use-nvramrc? is false
 input-device , output-device are defaulted
 ttya-mode , ttyb-mode are defaulted

These changes are temporary and the original values
will be restored after the
next hardware or software reset. Once you are at the
OK prompt, it is at this
point you make your changes to the OBP parameters, or
use set-defaults to reset
all parameters to factory default settings.

On the Netra[TM] 20 server, the defaults cannot be set
by hitting the power
button twice. The power button does not function in
the same way as it does on
the Sun Fire or Sun Blade. The LOM command bootmode
will need to be used as
shown below:

 lom> poweroff

 lom> bootmode reset_nvram

 lom> poweron

This will reset the nvram to default values.

Note:
If the RSC card is your console device, resetting the
NVRAM will take the
console away from the RSC and put it back to the
default (example, input-device