[SunHELP] root passwd expired

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 14:20:15 CST 2005

On 11/30/05, Steve Sandau <ssandau at gwi.net> wrote:
> We now have a console server so I can get to the console and aviod stuff
> like this.

Graphical or serial?  Can anyone confirm that it will work on the latter?
I do not believe in heads and keyboards on Suns.

> > I have to say that I have been quite tempted to make root "*NP*" on
> > the Solaris 9 boxes and then just install public keys for each of us
> > that have to admin the boxes, but I know that on some bloody
> > horror story day I'd regret that choice.
>
> I'd rather not have anyone logging in directly as root on the boxes I
> admin. In fact, I think the "rules" may forbid that expressly.

Sometimes you have to though, depending on what's going on with
the box. <knocks wood> Haven't had but a couple of those here.

> Only thing I have done is write on the calendar the next time we need to
> change the root password. I guess you could set up a cron to email you
> once every password-change-period or something like that. Maybe I'll
> look into that: an email when the password expiration is 10 days away or
> something.

That's what we are doing now.  Quite easy with a shell script if you have
Gnu tools installed, with base Solaris, the only method we found was
with Perl.

=Nadine=