[SunHELP] auth.crit : login incorrect

Christopher Turton CTurton at interleasing.com.au
Mon May 16 00:30:42 CDT 2005

I have had a similar problem on a V880 running Solaris 8. Several of my user
accounts have not been able to be reset / password changed in the normal
way. Always resulting in the error message you mention in /var/adm/messages.
All I seem to be able to do to correct this is change their UID to a new one
by: usermod -u <new UID>  <username>

Hope this helps, although if anyone can supply a reason for why nothing else
works?

The above E-mail and any attached files ("E-mail") may contain confidential
and/or privileged material and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If
you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering
to the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this
E-mail in error and that any use, retransmission, dissemination or copying
is strictly prohibited.If you have received this E-mail in error please
delete the material from any computer and notify the sender. The E-mail is
for information only and should not be relied, acted upon, copied or changed
without our written authority. We make no representation, disclaim all
responsibility and accept no liability as to the completeness, accuracy and
use of the E-mail prior to written confirmation in the form of a letter or
fax. Any opinions expressed in this E-mail may be those of the individual(s)
and not those of the originating company.